Monday 9 July 2012


A Hot Summers Night...On My Tongue!


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Whisky: Macallan 12 yr old Fine Oak

 

Distiller:

Macallan

 

Bottle:

Macallan 12 yr old Fine Oak

Region:

Speyside

 

ABV:

40%

 

Colour:

Young Sauternes

 

Review:

So every payday I go out and buy a bottle or two of whisky.  Lately I've been getting bourbons and some quite smokey Island and Islay whiskies which have been very enjoyable to me, however not so for my wife.  My wife loves Speyside whiskies, which is fine since I enjoy them too, but I haven't been buying any lately.  So this paycheck I decided to pick up some Speysides for her!

Now I've read some great things about Macallan and I've been wanting to pick up the 12 yr old Fine Oak for MONTHS now, but I was having a very hard time finding it over here so I had resigned myself to picking up the 10 yr old.

I had picked out two bottles to bring home this day, a Glenlivet 12 yr old and the Macallan 10 yr old Fine Oak.  So as soon as work lets out I run out to Dan Murphy's to pick up my two new best friends!

I get to Dan Murphys and I find my glenlivet 12 yr old no problem, but I can't find my Macallan!  This is unthinkable!!  I'm running up and down the whisky aisles trying to find my bottle. Frustration!!

Thankfully my wife is with me and she has more brains then me hahaha and she casually reaches into the row of whiskies and pulls out my Macallan!

Success!!!

Now when we get home I crack open the Macallan 10 yr old Fine Oak and pour a dram.  This is in celebration of my new job!!

I nose the glass and some beautiful odors of apples, cinnamon, vanilla, fruit fly into my nostrils!  Oh my god this is Speyside heaven!!  Is there smoke?  No!  Is there peat?  No!! Just lots and lots of fruit!

I take a sip and fruit jumps up and down on my tongue!  Apples, peaches, pears, cinnamon, vanilla, cream all swirl around my tongue!  It's like someone has taken the essence of a hot tropical summers night and poured it onto my tongue.   I think as this lovely dram hits the back of my throat I taste some rockmelon/cantaloupe.  BLOODY BRILLIANT!!!!!

The finish was short with very little lingering on my tongue, but there was a creamy mouth feel. However there seems to be something missing.  It feels a little thin?

Maybe it's because I've been drinking Talisker and Ardbeg blends with lots of smoke lately that I'm feeling a little let down that there isn't more, but what there is, is amazing!  Absolutely stunning.  Close to perfection is the only way I can describe it.

After dinner and my dram I go to look longingly at the Macallan 12 yr old Fine Oak online.  This is so badly what I want to taste. Especially if the 10 yr old is this good!  How awesome will the 12 yr old be?!?

As I look longingly at The Whisky Exchanges Macallan 12 yr old Fine Oak something slowly starts to dawn on me...

I didn't just drink the 10 yr old.

I ACTUALLY managed to buy the 12 yr old Fine Oak by mistake.

I bought the whisky that scored 95.5 in the whisky bible.  I bought the whisky that scored the highest in the 11 to 15 yr old range by mistake!  I BOUGHT the bottle that I've been hunting for months by mistake!!

This whisky is brilliant!  Actually so good that I gave a dram to a friend of mine who I work with for her 18th birthday.  Who doesn't like whisky.  Who said it tasted like yummy fruit.

This whisky might just become my number one favorite whisky.  I'm going to have to go out and buy three or four more bottles of this version because the odds of next years being this good are low.

My friend SystemDown in his blog (CHECK OUT HIS BLOG!!) http://whiskyoz.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/review-talisker-10.html reviewed Talisker 10 yr old and said that even though he loved the Talisker, it didn't suit a hot and tropical climate like Queensland, but would be an awesome dram for a colder environment (System if I am misquoting you at all PLEASE correct me!!)

Well my friends the Macallan 12 yr old is a whisky I wouldn't use for a cold winters night.  But as a dram for a hot summers night this is a PERFECT dram!!

Jim Murray was right about this one!!  This whisky is one of the best I have ever tasted and for a measly $85ish Aussie dollars it's a steal of a deal!!!!



Nose:            23/25
Taste:           24/25
 Finish:          22/25
Balance:         23/15

Overall:         92/100

No comments:

Post a Comment