Wednesday 1 August 2012

Aussie Whiskies: State Of Origin; It Begins!



 

Whisky: Bakery Hill Classic Malt

 

Distiller:

Bakery Hill

 

Bottle:

Classic Malt

Region:
Australian

ABV:

46%

 

Colour:

Young Sauternes

 

Review:

My wife and I, along with my brother and sister in law, had gone to a series of Australian whisky tastings at Helvetica.  I was very excited as I'd recently tried quite a few of these whiskies at The Grove when I was down in Margaret River.

Even cooler the head distiller/owner of Limeburners was going to be at this tasting event titled: The State of Origin (It's an Aussie thing.)

I'd just had a Swedish whisky: Penderyn Aur Cymru which while decent, wasn't all that I'd been hoping for.

The first Australian whisky that we were trying was Bakery Hill Classic Malt from Victoria.  I'd tried Bakery Hill before, although I'm pretty sure it wasn't the same expression and had been fairly pleased with it.

So we sit down and we decide to start nosing our tasting glasses.

Not a half bad nose.

Aromas of apples, spices, honey and sultanas hit my nose.  It's not a bad nose and is kind of interesting to try and pinpoint what spices.  I do believe I'm picking up some cinnamon, but I'm not completely sure.

As we're finishing nosing the whisky a gentleman who is dressed in a suit comes in and my wife overhears that he is Cameron, the big man from Limeburners!

However first things first.

Time for my favorite part of whisky exploration!

The tasting!

As I take a sip the whisky is fairly sweet with honey and sultanas coming through nice and clear.

There's some spices there, tastes a bit like nutmeg.

Finish is quite sweet and lingers on the tongue with honey and vanilla.

Not a bad whisky.   Not a great whisky.  Can be a bit difficult to find at times, at least in Perth as the most common Australian whisky seems to be Sullivan's Cove.  Price for the average bottle will probably be around the lines of $90 to $100, but like I said you're going to have to hunt for it.



Nose:      18/25
Taste:     18/25
Finish:      18/25
Balance:    18/25

Overall:     72/100

No comments:

Post a Comment