Tuesday 25 September 2012

The Treasure Hunt Continues!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Whisky: Glenrothes Select Reserve 2012

 

Distiller:

Glenrothes

 

Bottle:

Glenrothes Select Reserve

Region:

Speyside

 

ABV:

43%

 

Colour:

Young Sauternes

Review:

A few weeks ago I bought a gift pack of Glenrothes sample bottles from a local bottle shop. I'd wandered into this bottle shop because I'd never gone into it before and I was checking to see if they sold any of the beers I import into the country.

I love to wander into different bottle shops, trying to find those rare or valuable whiskies that the majority of the whisky drinking public don't realize for the gems that they are.

You can get some really good deals because oftentimes unless the bottle shop owner is a whisky drinker themselves, they don't realize what they have on their shelves and so you can oftentimes make a deal for a great whisky at a stupid price.

In the corner of the shop I'd seen a box that I'd never seen before and it just sort of called to me.

When I asked the clerk to see it he handed me this box of glencairn shotglasses and three 100ml bottles of different Glenrothes.

A 1995 vintage, a 1998 vintage and a Select Reserve.

All this for $50AUS.

I'd already had the Select Reserve from 2006 which had won a gold metal at the San Francisco Spirit Awards.

Very enjoyable whisky so I decided to give it a shot and pick up the gift set.

The first bottle I crack open is the 1995 vintage which was EXTREMELY disappointing earning a lowly 70 out of 100 from me.

Time for the Select Reserve though.

The nose is much more balanced and quite enjoyable.

First aroma that hits my nose as I crack the bottle is overwhelming citrus, but then it dies down and vanilla with cinnamon and fruit, specifically pear.

This is the Speyside nose that my wife and I love!

First taste is fruity, pears and apples, bits of citrus, vanilla that slowly gets stronger, oak, nutmeg and cinnamon.

Yummy!

The finish is quite short with apples and vanilla that slowly gets more and more dominating (God that's nice!)

Extremely delicious whisky!

Even better is that this whisky isn't too hard to find and is extremely affordable.   Running at around $75 AUS at most major liquor stores, it's a steal!

Only problem is that I don't know which release this is, but I'm going to assume this is the most recent batch, but once again that's just a guess.

If you see Glenrothes Select Reserve you should just buy it.

If you're not a huge fan of easy drinking sweet whiskies I'm sure your wife or girlfriend will likely enjoy this and then you can convert them to the whiskyside!

Nose:          21/25
Taste:        22/25
Finish:        21/25
Balance:      21/25

Overall:       85/100

No comments:

Post a Comment