Saturday 23 February 2013

24 Days of Christmas Whisky: Day 20: 
God I LOVE Talisker!


 

Whisky: Talisker 2000 Distiller's Edition Amoroso Finish

 

Distillery/Brand:

Talisker

Bottling:

Talisker 2000 Distiller's Edition

Region:
Island

ABV:

45.8%

 

Colour:

Young Sauternes

Review:
For Christmas my wife purchased me a whisky advent calender from Master of Malt, a calender of 24 different whiskies, from all over the world, different styles, different strengths, different ages.

I'd gone through almost every single sample, starting at ones I had ideas about, mild interest in, saving the best for last.

Two more whiskies to try, the ones that had me the most interested.

This sample was a Talisker, hands down at this time my favorite Scottish distillery.

A Talisker 2000 Amoroso Finish Distiller's Edition.

Now this is the distillery that I ALWAYS have at least ONE of their bottles in my cabinet at anyone time.

Something, anything Talisker is something that makes me smile.

So when I got home from work I cracked open the sample bottle and poured it into my glencairn and got down to the serious business of checking out my latest goodie!

A sexy, lovely nose that is immediately reminiscent of the Talisker 10 yr old, but with some more refinement that I expect out of the 18 yr old.

The first thing that hits is the peat and the pepper with a citrus aroma that evolves over the course of an hour or so. Underneath is tobacco and then a hint of ash tray that stays around. As the whisky's nose develops along a hint of mint appears, soft and sweet.

God I love Talisker. I honestly can't say that enough.

After about 45 minutes or so I decide it's time to take a sip!

It's beautiful and oily, coating the entire mouth and covering the palate with so many beautiful flavors.

A lovely blend of smoke and ash combines with a beautiful spiciness of pepper and nutmeg, with a beautiful sweetness of fruit jam underneath it all.

Have I said yet how much I love Talisker? Because I really do.

The finish is long, lingering with burnt caramel and pepper that goes on and on.

This whisky again reinforces my love of this distillery, and has brought home the fact that I'm going to be coming home from Scotland with bottle after bottle of Talisker to enjoy.

Even better this sexy is available in Australia for an easy going $120 or so AUS which is a stupidly good price for this sexy little whisky.

About the only fault I honestly have with this whisky is that I'd have loved to have seen it at cask strength, but that's ok, I'll be getting a cask strength Talisker pretty soon...

The only question remaining is will my wife murder me for picking up a bottle of this on top of the Talisker 57 North that I pick up tomorrow....

Nose:         24/25
Taste:        24/25
Finish:       23/25
Overall:     23/25

Balance:    94/100

No comments:

Post a Comment