Sunday 21 April 2013

An Interesting Lad

Whisky: Bruichladdich 10 Year Old Classic 10

Distillery/Brand:

Bruichladdich

 

Bottling:

Bruichladdich 10 Year Old


Region:
Islay

ABV:

46%

 

Colour:

Pale Straw


Review:
First off let me say that I've been very lazy with my whisky reviews and postings and I apologize for that that.  Preparing for Scotland is consuming heaps of time and for that I'm sorry!

Recently I attended a tasting where the debut of a new Australian Single Malt occurred.  Heaps of fun and an excellent whisky that was enjoyed by all wound up leading into a Bruichladdich tasting and then into a Buffalo Trace tasting.

I personally love Buffalo Trace, but my experience with Bruichladdich is more limited then I cared for, so I figured that this would be a good way for me to expand my horizons on that front.

We'd started the Bruichladdich's with the Classic and then the Islay Barley and now we were on the 10 year old Bruichladdich.

Now I've tried just about every single age statement, entry level Islay whisky out there, the exceptions being the Bruichladdich and Bunnahabhain so I was excited to get a chance to try the Bruichladdich.

Again like the Islay Barley this is an unpeated whisky, however peat flavors and aromas are easily detected as the water that goes into making the whisky is itself peated.

So let's dig into the whisky shall we?!

Peat, but nothing overpowering, remember it's not a peated whisky, vanilla, toffee, citrus and LOTS of fruits, yummy fruits, peaches and lemons mainly.  However there is a slight off burnt match/sulfur aroma on the nose that detracts just a little bit from all the delicious fruit and other aromas as it just doesn't feel like it belongs.

Time for a taste though!

Soft peat, vanilla, and fruit, lemons, apples, little peach and apricot.  Delicious and thankfully the sulfur notes from the nose never appear.

A soft peat medium length lingering finish with just a hint of citrus ends the whisky.

Not a bad whisky, and again being an unpeated (remember no peated malt goes into this one) not what you'd expect out of an Islay whisky, but enjoyable and something that would be good to introduce to someone who was new to peated whiskies.

Nice thing is that it's price is pretty standard entry level for an Islay, around $85 a bottle which makes it very reasonable if you're interested in trying it.  And it's definitely worth a try.

Nose:         22/25
Taste:        22/25
Finish:        21/25
Balance:     20/25

Overall:      85/100

No comments:

Post a Comment