Tuesday 25 February 2014

Texas and Scotland Meet...Down Under!



Distillery/Brand:
Balcones Distilling

Bottling:
Balcones Single Malt

Region:
American

ABV:
53%

Colour:
Full Gold

Review:
Continuing with my Balcones exploration I decided to crack open the single malt last night.  It's listed as 53% and I figured a nice biggish whiskey would paired up with the latest episode of The Walking Dead would be the perfect way to end the evening.

A fruity, sweet, vanilla nose, with dusty cocoa, bananas, pears, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, some citrusy oranges, and a slight nuttiness.

Let's see if the palate matches up with the nose!

Very sweet whiskey!

Citrusy oranges, brown sugar, molasses, vanilla, bananas, buttery apples, honey, more oranges, and cinnamon.

Very enjoyable, although a little too sweet for my palate.

A very long sweet finish, full of oranges, apples, other orchard fruits and vanilla ends the whiskey.

Personally this whisky is a little too sweet for my palate, but is still very enjoyable. 

The Balcones single malt has no age statement, but I personally reckon it's along the lines of a 2 to 3 year old whiskey, but that's very much a sneaky guess I could easily be wrong. 

Regardless I will be picking up a bottle of this in the near future.  Sometimes you just want a single malt that's not your typical Australian, Japanese or Scottish whisky and I think this whiskey fits the bill perfectly!  It retails at around $160-$170 AUS, so if you get the chance, try it before you buy it, because it is quite sweet.

Nose:       23/25
Palate:      21/25
Finish:      21/25
Balance:    19/25

Overall:    84/100

No comments:

Post a Comment